Welcome to the East Cobb Lifestyle and East Cobb Neighborhoods!
East Cobb, well known for its beautiful neighborhoods, top performing public schools, low crime, abundant activities for families, and some of the lowest taxes in Atlanta, has long been one of the most sought-after communities in metro Atlanta. An affluent north Atlanta suburb located in unincorporated Cobb County, east of the city of Marietta, East Cobb has 169,000 residents, making it one of the largest suburbs in Metro Atlanta. Offering easier access to downtown Atlanta and the Airport than the neighboring cities of Roswell and Alpharetta, East Cobb is roughly bounded by:
- Cherokee County and Hwy 92 to the north
- Willeo Creek and Roswell in Fulton County to the north and east
- the Chattahoochee River and Sandy Springs in Fulton County to the southeast
- I-575, and the Marietta city limits to the west, and
- Interstate 285 and I-75 to the south.
East Cobb residents have either a Marietta or Roswell mailing address depending on ZIP code. East Cobb consists primarily of unincorporated areas east of the city of Marietta, and a small portion of unincorporated area west of the city of Roswell. The primary ZIP codes that are associated with the portion of this area that most consider the “true” East Cobb community (the area inside the red borders on the map above), and the areas with the best schools and upscale shopping (red x on the map) are (30062), (30067), (30068), (30075) near Roswell, and (30066) on the western boundary closer to Marietta and Kennesaw.
Wonderful Shopping & Dining – Merchant’s Walk and The Avenue East Cobb
Johnson Ferry Road is the major transportation artery between East Cobb and Sandy Springs. Its intersection with Roswell Road (Hwy 120 – the main artery between East Cobb and Roswell or Marietta) is one of the busiest is what many consider the heart of
East Cobb. This area is called Merchant’s Walk, named after the shopping center near this intersection. The shopping center originally developed in the 1970’s has recently undergone a major redevelopment and includes a very nice mix of new boutique shops, restaurants, and a new Whole Foods fresh food market and gourmet emporium. To the east of the intersection is a popular shopping center called The Avenue shopping which contains many upscale shops like Williams Sonoma, Ann Taylor, and restaurants designed in a pleasant park-like atmosphere, complete with
outdoor speakers playing soft music as shopper stroll among the stores. To the west of the intersection is the Indian Hills subdivision, which is built around an 18 hole golf course and is one of the first major residential developments in Cobb County.
Parks and Recreation
- East Cobb Park was started by the non-profit citizens group Friends of East Cobb Park, in collaboration with Cobb County Parks Division. The park opened in 2003 and was funded primarily by local residents and corporate sponsors. Families enjoy the picnic pavilion and large fenced-in play area. There are also paved walking trails and a band pavilion. A beautiful creek borders the east side with several restful observation platforms. The park was recently expanded and additional parking added.
- Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area – Johnson Ferry North – has 2.5 miles of trails that are excellent for viewing plants and wildlife. There is a boat launch and a covered pavilion that is a great place to relax after a hike.
- The Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area – Sope Creek is a popular spot for hikers and mountain bikers. Sope Creek is a serene area with beautiful views of Sibley Pond.
- Glover Park is the centerpiece of Marietta Square, a quaint turn of the century town square, and a very popular destination for residents from all over Cobb County. Marietta Square and Glover Park, is the location of many food and art
festivals, free day and evening concerts and host of one of the best and largest fourth of July fireworks displays in Atlanta. Children can play on the replica train engine playground while parents relax. In December children from far and wide come to see the lighting of the great (30′) Christmas Tree placed in the park each year. At the center of the park is a beautiful multi-tiered fountain. Great shopping, antiques, restaurants, pubs, museums, and theatres make up Marietta Square.
- Dog Parks – Both Sweat Mountain Park near Mabry Middle School at 4346 Steinhauer Road Marietta 30066, and Leita Thompson Memorial Park at 1200 Woodstock Rd (Hwy 92) in nearby Mountain Park (Fulton Co) have off-leash dog areas.
- Horseback Riding – There are several horse stables in the heart of East Cobb that offer horseback riding lessons, camps, birthday parties and more. East Cobb Stables is located at 1649 Johnson Ferry Road, Marietta, GA 30062. Oak Creek Equestrian Center is located at 4580 Roswell Road, Marietta, GA 30066.
- Marietta Ice Center – Strap on your ice skates and hit the ice. Marietta Ice Center offers open skating along with learn to skate, learn to hockey, hockey leagues, and figure skating. It’s located at 4480 Lower Roswell Road in Marietta.
- East Marietta National Little League offers spring and fall baseball programs. East Marietta Little League is located at Sewell Park, 2055 Lower Roswell Road, Marietta, GA 30068.
- East Cobb Baseball offers team play from ages 8 through 17 under the direction of Guerry Baldwin. The East Cobb Baseball owns and operates the East Cobb Baseball Complex located at 4617 Lee Waters Road, Marietta, GA 30066 (Across From Kell High School).
- Shoot the Hooch offers raft rentals for cruising along the Chattahoochee River. The closest location to East Cobb is 301 Johnson Ferry Road, Marietta, Georgia 30068
- More information on Cobb County Parks, Recreation, Cultural Affairs Department
East Cobb has one of the best public school systems in all of Atlanta, starting with several good High Schools including Sprayberry, Wheeler (a Science and Technology
Magnet), and Kell, and of course the three well known and highly sought out high schools of Walton, Lassiter, and Pope – Cobb’s top high schools, nationally recognized for their academic achievements and consistently among the state’s highest ranked schools. This site focuses exclusively on Walton High School district real estate market and showcases only available properties located in the Walton High Attendance zone, including its approved elementary and middle school feeders. Our two sister sites; GreatLassiterHighSchoolHomes.com, and GreatPopeHighSchoolHomes.com focus on Lassiter High School and Pope High School, and the properties available in those two East Cobb schools attendance areas. For information about East Cobb School Test Scores and related info visit our site at EastCobbSchoolReports.com.
East Cobb has many excellent elementary and middle schools in the district including: Daniell, McCleskey, Simpson, East Cobb, and Hightower Trail, and very high performing and high ranking feeder schools for Walton High School, Lassiter High, and Pope High, including Mabry Middle, Dodgen Middle, Dickerson Middle, and Garrison Mill
Elementary, Shallowford Falls Elementary, Mt Bethel Elementary, Timber Ridge Elementary, East Side Elementary, and Soap Creek Elementary.
East Cobb is home to some of metro Atlanta’s biggest Churches. Johnson Ferry Baptist Church has roughly 7500 members and is a growing church located off Johnson Ferry Road between Lower Roswell Rd and Roswell Rd (Hwy 120). Mt Bethel United Methodist has around 5000 members and is located off of Lower Roswell Road by the government center. Catholic Church of St. Ann is another mega church that is located at the corner of Bishop Lake Road and Roswell Road (Hwy 120).
The United States Postal Service operates the East Cobb and Mount Bethel Post Office branches.
Cobb County operates the East Cobb Government Service Center on Lower Roswell Rd to save residents a trip into Marietta to pay property taxes, or renew a business license or vehicle tag. The center contains a county Police precinct, a Cobb Fire and Emergency Services station, and a Tag and Business License Office. East Cobb comprises districts 2 and 3 of the Cobb County Commission.
Cobb County Public Library operates the East Cobb Library (formerly located in Merchant’s Walk, and relocated to Parkaire Landing during the Merchants Walk redevelopment in 2010).
- Chris Robinson and Rich Robinson of The Black Crowes rock group
- Blaine Boyer, professional baseball player
- Newt Gingrich, Former Speaker of the House, 2012 Republican Presidential candidate.
- Travis Tritt, country music star
- Cody Rhodes, WWE wrestler
- Lawson Vaughn, professional soccer player
- Ty Pennington, Sprayberry High graduate, Extreme Home Makeover and Trading Spaces
- Brett Butler comedian
- Bobby Cox, former manager of the Atlanta Braves
- Alton Brown, Food and Media Personality
- Missy Elliott, singer, and songwriter